Master of Professional Accounting (Extended)
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
Swinburne’s Master of Professional Accounting (Extended) is our top-of-the-range MPA program. This professionally accredited course includes a choice of three specialisations: business analytics, finance, and the CPA Australia extension*.
Gain specialised knowledge and research skills relevant across industry sectors and prepare for senior roles where you will be relied upon for your valuable insights and analysis.
Swinburne’s strong industry connections will ensure your learning experience is practical with expert guest speakers, topical projects, real-world case histories and embedded use of industry software Xero.
Choose the business analytics specialisation and develop your expertise in booming areas such as data visualisation, predictive analytics, artificial intelligence (AI) and insights, mobile applications and social networks.
Choose the finance specialisation to delve more deeply into finance and banking areas of interest, such as corporate financial management, capital markets, business and entity valuations and risk management.
Choose the CPA Australia extension* if you are planning to sit the CPA Program™ exams as this specialisation complements the CPA Program distance education program. Swinburne’s distinctive CPA extension aligns with the four compulsory CPA Program Subjects as well as two CPA Program electives (Australian Taxation, and Advanced Audit and Assurance).
At Swinburne you’ll also be learning from leading academics, many of whom have been involved in the design, writing and/or examination of CPA Program™ subjects.
*The CPA Australia extension is currently unavailable for 2023 enrolments.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Hawthorn (Semester 1, Semester 2) - View application and start dates
A$40200 (annual for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Professionally accredited by
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
To qualify for the award of Master of Professional Accounting (Extended), students must complete sixteen (16) units (200 credit points) comprising:
- 10 Core units
- 6 units comprising of a compulsory specialisation and electives. Students who choose the CPA specialisation will not complete any additional elective units)
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Master of Professional Accounting (Extended) is 50 credit points (normally four units). Up to 100 point of exemptions for students from Master of Professional Accounting programs from a recognised University.
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- apply coherent and developed knowledge of accounting and business related concepts in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking
- apply problem solving, design and decision making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with reference to established frameworks
- communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a diverse team, and use the basic tools and practices of accounting within project work
- demonstrate integrity, ethical conduct, accountability, respect and a developing awareness of professional practices and cultural norms in a global and sustainable context
- apply accounting and business fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a business model using appropriate accounting and business methods and tools
- reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes, and develop skills to review, reflect on and plan to improve their professional performance
- apply knowledge of research principles and methods to plan and execute a piece of research with some independence
- engage ethically, professionally and productively in a professional accounting, finance and business context in light of changing global perspectives.
Pathways and scholarships
Swinburne business degrees are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International. The alumni of AACSB accredited business schools are among the world’s most influential leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs impacting business, government, and non-profit sectors. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide are AACSB accredited.
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- a recognised bachelor degree in any discipline or
- a Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting * (For students without a recognised bachelor degree) or
- completion of the Postgraduate Qualifying Program (International applicants only)
English language requirements
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- Swinburne English Language Centre: EAP 5 Advanced level with overall 70% and all skills 65% or above
- Or equivalent measures available here.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +61 3 9214 8444 (outside Australia)