The broad objective of this unit of study is to familiarise students with the underlying concepts, objectives and reporting function of the auditor. The unit deals with both theoretical and practical aspects of auditing. The aim is to integrate the concepts of auditing with practical approaches taken by the auditor to ensure participants gain a complete picture of the audit process.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of the nature and purpose of auditing within the regulatory auditing environment.
2. Utilise knowledge of research principles to plan and execute a piece of research on a critical and current topic of auditing.
3. Operate effectively as a leader and member of a diverse group to achieve set goals relating to building of knowledge of auditing.
4. Critically evaluate the audit process and the need for financial report audits.
5. Apply the concepts of good corporate governance and ethical business practice and their significance for the auditor.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of financial audit in practice including the use of data analytics in the conduct of an efficient and effective audit.