Planning your finances is an important part of any overseas study program. Here you will find information on fee help and scholarship options available to you as a Swinburne student.
For Semester Abroad programs at one of our partner universities, you will not need to pay international tuition fees (as you will continue to pay your tuition fees to Swinburne).
However, for all programs, you will need to consider any applicable program fees, airfares, insurance, accommodation, living expenses and visa costs. Living and travel costs will vary considerably depending on your destination, lifestyle and the current exchange rate in your host destination’s currency.
There are several scholarships and funding opportunities available to help you participate in overseas programs as a Swinburne student.
OS-HELP is available for credit-bearing international experiences, including exchange, study tours and overseas internships and is the most applied for form of funding. This government scheme provides loans for Australian students of up to A$8,519 (as at 2022), depending on your destination and study program.
This loan is added to your HECS debt, which you do not have to repay until your income reaches the minimum repayment threshold. To be eligible for the OS-HELP Loan you must meet the minimum eligibility criteria below:
- have been selected by your provider to receive an OS-HELP Loan;
- be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the residency requirements
- have not received an OS-HELP Loan on more than one other occasion
- be enrolled with an Australian provider in a Commonwealth supported place and have completed one equivalent full-time student loan (EFTSL) — usually one year of full-time study
- be studying full-time overseas and this study will count towards the course requirements for the Australian course you are enrolled in
- have at least 0.125 EFTSL of your course left to complete once you have finished your overseas study — usually one unit of study
- have a valid tax file number (TFN) at the time of applying
- have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to the first census date (for new enrolments from 1 January 2021)
- have submitted an OS-HELP debt confirmation form to your provider; and have read the OS-HELP statement of terms and conditions.
OS-HELP Loans are applied for and paid only after you have been accepted into your overseas program. If you’re eligible, you will be given more information from the Swinburne Abroad team on how to apply as your application progresses.
Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship
Recipients of this scholarship are eligible to receive a one-off payment of A$2,000 towards an international study experience.
For more information, see the Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship.
New Colombo Plan funding
Find out more about the New Colombo Plan (NCP) initiative for studying abroad, including the NCP Mobility Grants and the prestigious NCP Scholarship.
Other fee help options and scholarships include:
If you currently receive Austudy or Youth Allowance, you may still be eligible to continue receiving these benefits while on your overseas study program. For exchange programs, you will need to provide Centrelink with evidence that you will be studying full-time in an approved student exchange program that will be credited to your Swinburne degree. Swinburne Abroad can provide you with a letter to meet Centrelink requirements before you depart.
Swinburne Abroad may offer a number of scholarships each semester that are awarded based on a range of criteria such as merit, ambassadorship or through other kinds of Australian Government funding. Available scholarships will be listed here each semester once they are open for applications.
Butex International Scholarships, UK
This scholarship is open to all exchange students going to select UK partner institutions. To be eligible you must have been offered an exchange place at a BUTEX-affiliated UK university.
The value of each scholarship is GBP£500 and will be paid to you once you have arrived and registered at your host university.
Check with the consulate or embassy of your proposed host country to explore other scholarships that may be available.
Eligible students studying Aviation or Aviation Management can apply for this scholarship to receive A$5,000 towards an exchange semester abroad at selected partner universities.
For more information see the Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship.
Eligible students who have reached certain levels of language proficiency can apply for this scholarship to receive funds towards an approved exchange semester abroad.
For more information, visit the Walter Mangold Trust Fund website.