Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship
Swinburne University has study exchange arrangements with partner institutions including Western Michigan University (USA) and EBS University of Business and Law (Germany) for Aviation and Aviation (Management) students. The Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship is offered to provide the recipient with the opportunity to experience operations within the aviation industry internationally, and develop personal relationships and knowledge that will enhance their opportunities upon returning to Australia.
Piers Fowler was an integral part of general and commercial aviation in Australia for over 20 years. Piers combined his love of both aviation and teaching and displayed skill and commitment in all areas of his endeavours. He was a colleague and friend to many at Swinburne. Therefore we are honoured that Piers’ family, through the Piers Fowler Trust, are considering the establishment of a range of initiatives to recognise Piers’ contribution to aviation and his time at Swinburne, first as a student and then a teacher, to continue what he liked to do most – share the skills and learning of aviation with other pilots. This scholarship is to reflect Piers’ own endeavours and achievements in his early aviation career.
A single or double undergraduate degree in Aviation or Aviation Management offered by Swinburne University of Technology including:
- Bachelor of Aviation
- Bachelor of Aviation Management
- Bachelor of Aviation/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Aviation Management/Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Aviation Management
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing Swinburne student in their second or third year in Semester 1, 2021
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- Be accepted for a 6 month study exchange with a partner institution (including Western Michigan University, USA or EBS University of Business and Law, Germany). The study exchange program should contribute to the completion of a single or double undergraduate degree program in Aviation offered by Swinburne University.
- Submit a 500-word statement explaining the benefit of the study exchange and the scholarship. Include details of financial hardship, if applicable.
The scholarship is valued at $5000 (One-off payment). Each student will be given the opportunity of an industry mentor.
How to apply
No application is required for this scholarship. Scholarship recipient/s will be selected when students confirm a place with the partner university each year in accordance with the eligibility and selection criteria. Students who are shortlisted will be invited to submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words outlining their financial hardship and demonstrate the benefit of the study exchange. You will also be required to provide a confirmation of your exchange either from Swinburne Study Abroad or your host institution. Send your personal statement and supporting documentation to email@example.com
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services