Fee help and scholarships
Planning your finances is an important part of any overseas study program.
For Semester Abroad programs at one of our partner universities, you will not need to pay international tuition fees (as you will continue to pay your tuition fees to Swinburne). However for all programs you will need to consider any applicable program fees, airfares, insurance, accommodation, living expenses and visa costs.
Living and travel costs will vary considerably depending on your destination, lifestyle and the current exchange rate in your host destination’s currency.
There are a number of scholarships and funding opportunities to help Swinburne students participate in overseas programs.
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship is a prestigious Australian Government program that provides opportunities for Australian undergraduate students to undertake a semester of study or an internship or mentorship in participating Indo-Pacific locations.
Any bachelor or honours degree.
Eligibility / selection criteria
- be an Australian citizen;
- be enrolled in units at an on-shore campus of an Australian University during the application process;
- be between 18 and 28 years of age (inclusive) on 1 January 2020;
- be undertaking a bachelor degree or bachelor honours degree when the scholarship program commences;
- have achieved a minimum 70 per cent graded average or equivalent for their undergraduate course at the time of application; and
- not be a previous recipient of a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
Applications for the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program are now open.
For more information about this program, including eligibility requirements, application information and to register for an upcoming information session, please view our New Colombo Plan Scholarship page.
If you currently receive Austudy or Youth Allowance, you may still be eligible to continue receiving these benefits while on exchange.
You will need to provide Centrelink with evidence that you will be studying full time in an approved student exchange program that will be credited to your Swinburne degree.
Swinburne Abroad can provide you with a letter to meet Centrelink requirements before you depart.
OS-HELP is available for credit-bearing international experiences, including exchange, study tours and overseas internships.
This government scheme provides loans for Australian students of up to $8,149 (as at 2019), depending on your destination and study program.
This loan is added to your HECS debt, which you do not have to repay until your income reaches the minimum repayment threshold.
A summary of eligibility criteria for the OS-HELP Loan is below. Students must meet the following conditions:
- have been selected by your provider to receive an OS HELP loan;
- be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder or a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the residency requirements;
- have not received an OS HELP loan on more than one other occasion;
- be enrolled with an Australian provider in a Commonwealth supported place and have completed one equivalent full-time student loan (EFTSL) - usually one year of full-time study;
- be studying full-time overseas and this study will count towards the course requirements for the Australian course you are enrolled in;
- have at least 0.125 EFTSL of your course left to complete once you have finished your overseas study - usually one unit of study;
- have a valid tax file number (TFN) at the time of applying
- have submitted an OS-HELP debt confirmation form to your provider; and
- have read the OS-HELP Statement of terms and conditions.
Before submitting an application for an OS-HELP loan, please ensure you have carefully read through information on loan details, amounts and eligibility in the StudyAssist booklet [PDF, 385KB].
You cannot apply for an OS-HELP loan after you have finished you overseas experience; however, an application may still be possible whilst you are undertaking your experience.
To apply, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the online Debt Confirmation Form (available via My Financials for current students)
- Complete the OS-HELP Application form and submit to the Swinburne Abroad office directly
To submit your OS-HELP Debt Confirmation form via “My financials” you need to:
- Log in to My financials with your SIMS username and password
- Click on Help Forms
- Click the Add New button to view the list of forms available
- Select “OS-HELP Debt Confirmation” and click Complete Form
- Complete the required details including your Tax File Number
- Click Submit. A success message will appear.
Go to the HELP assistance page for more information submitting an application online.
Semester Abroad scholarships
Swinburne Abroad offers a number of scholarships each semester which are awarded based on merit and ambassadorship. Scholarship applications for Semester 2, 2019 are now open.
- Australian Government New Colombo Plan Scholarship - Study in China: 4 $6,000 scholarships available
- Australian Government Endeavour International Scholarship – Study in Germany: $5,000 scholarships available
- Australian Government Endeavour Cheung Kong Scholarship – Study in Hong Kong: $5,000 scholarships available
- Australian Government New Colombo Plan Scholarship - Study in Indonesia: $5,000 scholarships available
- Australian Government New Colombo Plan Scholarship - Study in Sarawak, Malaysia (FSET only): $5,000 scholarships available
Swinburne Abroad ‘Off The Beaten Track’ Scholarship
10 x $1,000 scholarships available.
Available for eligible students participating in semester exchange to destinations that are not Sarawak, Japan, UK, Ireland, USA or Canada.
Swinburne Abroad Faculty Ambassador Scholarship
6 x $1,000 scholarships available.
Semester Abroad at Swinburne Sarawak, Malaysia
12 x $1,000 available
How to apply for a Swinburne Abroad scholarship
Semester Abroad Scholarship Application
Please complete the scholarship application form. Applications close on Sunday 30 June, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Semester Abroad Sarawak Scholarship Application
Please complete the scholarship application form. Applications for Swinburne Abroad Scholarships for Sarawak close on Wednesday 31 July, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Overseas internship scholarships
Overseas Internship scholarships are available for students undertaking an internship over winter 2019.
Overseas Internship Ambassador Scholarship
$1,000 scholarships available
How to apply for an Overseas Internship Scholarship
Please complete the Overseas Internship Scholarship Application form.
Applications close on Sunday 17 May 2019 at 11:59pm
Travel scholarships offered by overseas institutions
Butex International Scholarships, UK
This scholarship is open to all exchange students going to select UK partner institutions. To be eligible you must have been offered an exchange place at a BUTEX-affiliated UK university.
The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid to you once you have arrived and registered at your host university.
Check with the consulate or embassy of your proposed host country to explore other scholarships that may be available.
Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship
Eligible students studying Aviation or Aviation Managemet can apply for this scholarship to receive $5,000 towards an Exchange semester abroad at selected partner universities.
For more information see the Piers Fowler Exchange Scholarship.
Walter Mangold Language Scholarships
Eligible students who have reached certain levels of language proficiency can apply for this scholarship to receive funds towards an approved Exchange semester abroad.
For more information see the Walter Mangold Trust Fund page.
Charles D’Aprano Memorial Scholarship
Eligible students enrolled in Italian studies can apply for this scholarship to receive $2,000 towards an Exchange semester abroad at selected partner universities.
For more information see the Charles D’Aprano Memorial Scholarship.
Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship
Recipients of this scholarship are eligible to receive a one-off payment of $2,000 towards an international study experience.
For more information see the Vice Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship.
The New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants
The New Colombo Plan Mobility Program provides funding to Australian universities and consortia to support Australian undergraduate students to participate in semester-based or short-term study, internships, mentorships, practicums and research in 40 host locations across the Indo-Pacific region.
The Mobility Program is open to Australian university undergraduates aged 18–28, with capacity to include some students over 28.
The advantages of the program
- Be supported by the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to give you access to high level networks and open doors to future opportunities.
- Study in the world’s fastest growing region leading to future career opportunities.
To be eligible for a short-term mobility grant, please see main eligibility criteria below:
- currently studying a bachelor or bachelor (Honours) program onshore
- an Australian citizen
- cannot have held dual citizenship or residency for the project destination
New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants are awarded at the discretion of Swinburne University of Technology.
You will be automatically considered for NCP funding when you apply for an eligible short term or exchange program. You will receive notification that you've been awarded grant funding shortly after applications close.
For information on applying for exchange visit the Swinburne Abroad Office.
Learn more about New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants on the DFAT website.