Master of Professional Accounting
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
*CPA Specialisation is not available in 2022 and 2023.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Hawthorn (Semester 1, Semester 2) - View application and start dates
A$40200 (annual for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Professionally accredited by
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
- 10 core units (125 credit points)
- 2 elective units (25 credit points)
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Master of Professional Accounting is 50 credit points (normally four units).
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- apply coherent and advanced knowledge of accounting and business concepts in diverse contexts and applications using critical thinking
- apply problem solving, design and decision making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
- communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences, function as an effective member or leader of a team
- demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct, professional accountability and a deep awareness of professional practices in a global and sustainable context
- apply accounting and business fundamentals to the analysis, design and operation of a business model using appropriate accounting methods and tools, applied in a variety of contexts
- reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes, and manage their own time and processes effectively by regularly reviewing performance as a means of managing continuing professional development and lifelong learning
- apply knowledge of research principles and methods to plan and execute a piece of research with some independence.
If students have undertaken their undergraduate degree outside of Australia and are wishing to gain professional membership, they will need to have their previous undergraduate degree assessed as comparable to an Australian undergraduate degree by CPA Australia and CAANZ in accordance with the guidelines issued by the Australian Education International - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR).
Pathways and scholarships
Swinburne business degrees are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International. The alumni of AACSB accredited business schools are among the world’s most influential leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs impacting business, government, and non-profit sectors. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide are AACSB accredited.
If you have any inkling at all to study, don’t hesitate and jump right in. My undergraduate degree is in Dance and I was looking for a Masters that could elevate me into business and make me more specifically marketable. Accounting is the root of many things. Even just knowing accounting basics allows you to engage more deeply in business conversations.
Master of Professional Accounting
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- a recognised bachelor degree in a related discipline or
- a recognised bachelor degree in any discipline PLUS a minimum of two years equivalent full-time relevant professional experience* or
- a Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting** or
- completion of the Postgraduate Qualifying Program PLUS either previous Higher Education Study in a related discipline OR a minimum of two years equivalent full-time relevant professional experience* (International applicants only)
English language requirements
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- Or equivalent measures available at English language requirements.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +61 3 9214 8444 (outside Australia)