Single units are a great way to learn new skills or give study a try without enrolling in a full course. If you decide later to study a full Swinburne course, you may receive credit for single units you’ve already completed.
You can search for units by name, code, study level or campus.
You can check which units are available in the Summer and Winter terms, as well as other study periods across the academic year:
How to apply for a single unit at Swinburne
Studying at another university?
If you're enrolled in undergraduate or postgraduate study at another university, you can apply for cross-institutional study.
Already studying at Swinburne?
- Search for and find the unit you want to study.
- Note any prerequisites for the unit – you will need to provide certified evidence that you’ve completed these.
To apply for postgraduate units, you'll need to provide a certified copy of an applicable undergraduate degree or a current resume showing a least five years of applicable work experience.
- Note the study period and unit code for that unit – you’ll need these when you apply.
- Once you know the unit(s) you want to study, enter the course code for the unit type you want to study in the application form:
NN-UGUNIT - for undergraduate units
NN-PGUNIT - for post graduate units
- Click the Apply now button in the right hand column of the page.
Can’t see the unit you want to study in our course code list? Let us know. Contact studentHQ on 1300 794 628 or online through Ask George.
- Then pick the unit you want to study.
- When you apply, you'll need to scan and upload certified copies of:
- your citizenship or residency
- any relevant visas
- evidence of any completed prerequisites, academic awards, your resume or portfolio
- evidence of English language proficiency for international applicants (certified copy of IELTS or TOEFL test results certificate)
- academic and professional referee reports
- a completed sponsorship agreement form [PDF 57KB] if you’re being sponsored to study.
Note: Please apply for single units at least four weeks before the unit study period starts.
Need to sign up a group?
Once you’ve applied
We’ll contact you to let you know if your application is successful. We’ll assign available single unit places after all Swinburne award program students have enrolled.
We may make you an offer as late as the first week of class, depending on our enrolment quotas.
You are responsible for the payment of tuition fees to Swinburne. Single units of study are not eligible for FEE-HELP.
If your employer is paying your fees, they can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details about how we can invoice you.
Find further information about paying your fees.
Study a single unit at another university
If you’re a Swinburne student wishing to study a single unit at another university, fill out the Cross-Institutional Study (Outgoing) application.