Application for incoming cross-institutional study

Check which units are available to study:

All applications must be submitted at least four weeks before the commencement of the unit of study.

Who should complete this form?

  • Applicants wishing to undertake cross institutional units of study.
  • Applicants currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate program at another university wishing to undertake Cross Institutional Study at Swinburne University of Technology. Information about units of study and prerequisites can be obtained from the Swinburne University of Technology Course Search.
  • Applicants currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate program at Swinburne who wish to undertake Single Units of Study or Cross Institutional Study at a university (other than Swinburne University of Technology) should NOT complete this form. These students should fill in and submit the Application for Outgoing Cross Institutional Study Form.
  • International students wishing to apply for a single unit of study.

What Is Cross Institutional Study?

Cross Institutional Study (Incoming students)

Cross Institutional enrolment is available to students enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate programs at any university (the “home” university) who may wish to enrol in unit/s of study at Swinburne (the “host” university). The term Cross Institutional Study applies to students enrolled at another university and given approval to study at Swinburne University of Technology.

What is single unit of study?

Single unit/s of study are taken outside an award program. Students are not enrolled in a Swinburne degree program and do not receive an award at the completion of study. Single units are a great way to learn new skills or give study a try without enrolling in a full course. If you decide later to study a full Swinburne course, you may receive credit for single units you’ve already completed. Single units of study are not eligible for FEE-HELP. Single units of study are only offered on a full-fee paying basis. Use our find unit search to locate Swinburne unit information.


Prerequisites must be met for all units of study. Postgraduate applicants may be subject to program entry/admission requirements. Applicants must show evidence of meeting prerequisites (by attaching a certified copy of their results). Details of prerequisites are available through our course search. Please refer to section titled "What supporting documentation must I provide?" below.

How Do I Complete This Form?

  1. Complete all questions
  2. Ensure that you attach certified copies of all relevant documentation. Please refer to section below for more information.
  3. Submit the completed form and all supporting documents on the next page

All applications must be submitted at least four weeks before the commencement of the unit of study.

If you require assistance please contact studentHQ by calling 1300 794 628 or by submitting an online enquiry via Ask George

What Supporting Documentation Must I Provide?

Please check the program requirements to determine if additional information such as portfolio is required with your application. All documentation provided must be a certified copy.

Mandatory Requirements for Incoming Cross Institutional Study

  • Proof of Identification in the form of:
    • Australian Citizens – certified copy of passport, birth certificate or certificate of citizenship.
    • Australian Permanent Residents – certified copy of passport/visa.
    • New Zealand Citizens – certified copy of passport.
    • International Students – certified copy of passport/visa.
  • Scanned certified copy of transcript of results as proof of completion of prerequisite study.
  • Proof of completion of academic qualifications, where appropriate.
  • An extract from the "home" institution’s syllabus to demonstrate that Swinburne prerequisite requirements have been met, where applicable.
  • A Commonwealth Assistance Form for those students eligible to enrol on a HECS-HELP/FEE-HELP basis.
  • Approval from Home Institution - Please download, complete and then upload on the next page
  • For international applicants, evidence of English language proficiency, ie: certified copy of IELTS or TOEFL test results certificate.
  • Translations of supporting documentation if original documents are in a language other than English.

What Happens After I Lodge My Application Form?

Selection And Availability

  • Enrolment is determined on a semester/term basis for each unit of study.
  • Applicants will be assigned a place, where available after all Swinburne award program students have enrolled.
  • Dependent on enrolment quotas, offers may be made as late as the first week of classes.
  • Generally, offers will be sent to successful applicants prior to the start of a semester/term, where possible. Unsuccessful applicants will also be advised.

Fees for Cross Institutional Enrolments

Applicants are liable for payment of student contributions or tuition fees at Swinburne University of Technology. Swinburne will determine the fee basis for cross institutional enrolment. Cross Institutional students are eligible to apply for Government Assistance (HECS-HELP or FEEHELP).