Switching to Swinburne

If you switch to a Swinburne course from another Australian educational institution, you may be eligible for course credits. 

The amount of credit you'll receive is based on the type of study you have completed, how many units you've completed and the relevance to the course at Swinburne you are applying for.

Switching from another university

If you’re switching from another university, the credit you are eligible to receive is based on your individual situation. 

The table provides a guide to the amount of credit you may receive based on how much of your course you have already completed. 

Length of study completed

Credit you may receive

One semester

Up to four units of study (one semester)

Two semesters

Up to eight units of study (two semesters)

Four semesters

Up to 12 units of study (three semesters)

Switching from a diploma

If you're switching from a diploma you completed at another institution, please contact us to discuss your eligibility for course credits.

How to apply for course credit

Follow these steps to apply for course credit:

  1. Apply for your chosen course at Swinburne.
  2. If your application is successful, you can apply for course credit during enrolment.
  3. Use the credit calculator to estimate how many units of credit you may be eligible for, based on your previous study.

You will need to have the following documentation to apply for credit: 

  • completed an Application for Advanced Standing form
  • certified copy of an academic transcript or statement of attainment from previous institution
  • course outlines showing content, learning outcomes and assessment requirements
  • an explanation of the grading structure used at the institution you are switching from.

Note: Most enrolment is completed online, so you will need to scan your documents, ready to upload.

On-campus exemptions sessions

If you are required to attend an exemptions session on campus, you will be informed by the online enrolment tool.