Ready to apply to Swinburne?

At Swinburne, we welcome international students to study with us in our vibrant city of Melbourne. Applying for university can be confusing at times, but we aim to make it as easy as possible. Choose between going through an education agent or applying online directly.

Not an international student?

If you’re a local student, access the local application portal or learn how to apply as a local student and we’ll see you on the other side!

Learn how to apply as a local student
Completing Year 12 in Australia as an international student?

If you're already studying Year 12 in Australia as an international student, you will need to apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) to study at Swinburne.

Learn more about applying via VTAC

Find an education agent

We have education agents all over the world that can help you apply to Swinburne and understand your student visa requirements. They can also answer your questions about studying at Swinburne. Connect with an education agent in your home country to get started.

Find an agent near me

Apply online directly

Some students can also apply directly to Swinburne via our online international application system (except for research degrees). You will need to provide:

Begin your application

Frequently asked questions

Want to study a Foundation Year, UniLink, undergraduate and postgraduate course?

You are an international student if you are:

  • not an Australian or a New Zealand citizen
  • not an Australian permanent resident

Want to study a vocational education (TAFE) course?

You are an international student if you are:

  • not an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • not an East Timorese asylum seeker
  • not a Temporary Protection Visa (TPV) holder

You are also considered an international student if you are on a temporary visa such as student visa, bridging visa and business visa.

See information for local students

It's important to meet the minimum academic and English language requirements for the course you want to study. Make sure you understand those requirements before you apply.

See entry requirements for international students

If you need to improve your English language skills in preparation to study in Australia, you can complete an English language course at Swinburne. When you submit your online application, make sure to attach certified copies of your English language proficiency test results.

See English language courses at Swinburne

You don't need to apply separatately for an international scholarship! When you apply to commence an intake in an eligible course for the first time from June 2024 until December 2024 at Swinburne's Hawthorn campus, we automatically consider you for the available international scholarship based on the grades of your previous study.

Learn more about international scholarships

If you’re applying as an asylum seeker or refugee, your application process is different. There are also financial initiatives available that you may be eligible for if you’re on one of the following visas:

Learn more about the process

*If you are applying for a design course (except Swinburne Foundation Program) but did not meet Australian Year 12 design prerequisite, you must submit a design portfolio.

^If you have a study gap, you must submit a statement of activity. For example, we will need a written summary of your relevant activities in 2023 if you finished secondary education in 2022 and are applying to Swinburne in 2024.

#If you are applying for credit from previous tertiary education, you will need to submit the course outlines and their translated English copies.

Explore more

Have questions about applying?

You can call +61 3 9214 8444 on Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm (AEST) to speak to our team.

Email us instead