- One Semester or equivalent
2020 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Completion either prior or at the same time
Aims and objectives
This unit assists students in identifying and understanding issues relating to the personal and organisational application of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) with particular emphasis on ethics and privacy. Students will develop a sense of professional responsibility through exploring the professional code of ethics articulated by professional accrediting bodies. Students will explore a range of social, legal, ethical and business issues that ICT professionals face in their careers.
3. Critically analyse the impacts of business compliance imperatives and how this impacts on the work of the ICT professional.
5. Communicate effectively as a professional and function as an effective leader or member of a diverse team.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Develop and present a resolved project outcome which critically synthesises knowledge of ethical and socio-technical challenges faced by an ICT professional.
2. Critically evaluate the role of standards, codes of conduct and legislative/regulatory obligations on the level of professionalism of the ICT industry.
4. Critically review the roles and responsibilities of ICT professionals in organisations and society from a range of perspectives such as work-life balance, mentoring and life-long learning.