- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
PrerequisitesDDD60030 DFM: Applied Innovation Studio 1
DDD70031 DFM: Applied Innovation Studio 2
Enrolment in MA-DESG Master of Design
Aims and objectives
This unit develops further capability to facilitate and/or lead design innovation practices; advancing skills in entrepreneurial thinking, ambiguous problem contexts, and design approaches to advance science, technology and/or society. It features industry and/or Design Factory Global Network partnerships. DFM Applied Innovation units work in unison, where a dynamic learning plan guides authentic learning experiences; such as sprints, workshops, in-depth projects and internships. Students explore professional capabilities; scaffolding mastering of design activities, research-led design, being a collaborative designer, and design facilitation and/or leadership. Working on diverse challenges gives students opportunity to identify areas they may specialise in design fields.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Frame research as a strategic tool to navigate ambiguity associated with innovation experimentation.
2. Investigate design-inspired innovation practices to advance social, scientific and technological projects.
3. Create prototypes that foster communication within teams and with diverse, external stakeholders.
4. Construct documentation using digital and/or social media channels that communicates the value and intent of a design solution.
5. Develop holistic, globally relevant design solutions in response to ambiguous challenges.
6. Interpret future trends and challenges related to design innovation fields of practice.
7. Facilitate others to participate in design innovation activities and/or engage innovation mindset.