- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesDDD60030 DFM: Applied Innovation Studio 1
DDD70031 DFM: Applied Innovation Studio 2
Admission into MA-DESG Master of Design
Aims and objectives
This unit develops self-awareness as a collaborative designer; advancing skills in futures thinking, experimentation, prototyping and radical innovation by curating innovation methods for complex problems. It features industry and/or Design Factory Global Network partnerships. DFM Applied Innovation units work in unison, where a dynamic learning plan guides authentic learning experiences; such as sprints, workshops, in-depth projects and internships. Students explore professional capabilities; scaffolding mastering of design activities, research-led design, being a collaborative designer, and design facilitation and/or leadership. Working on diverse challenges gives students opportunity to identify areas they may specialise in design fields.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Research through design to inform and iterate a complex, societal and/or commercial challenge.
2. Investigate radical innovation practices applied to design outcomes across diverse sectors.
3. Create prototypes to demonstrate proof of concept.
4. Construct documentation to communicate design value and intent to a cross-cultural audience.
5. Construct documentation to communicate design value and intent to a cross-cultural audience.
6. Interpret political, economic, societal, environmental, legal, ethical and technological factors to inform designing for the future.
7. Appraise different leadership styles and stakeholder engagement techniques relevant to design innovation contexts.