We offer a range of support services to care leavers — the 'Forgotten Australians'.  If you’ve experienced foster, kinship, residential or permanent care, we can help you settle into university and achieve your academic goals. 

As a proud partner of the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare’s Raising Expectations project, we’re committed to helping more young care leavers access further education.

Dedicated and personalised support

Yes, we are here to help. We can work with you to find a course that best suits you and to help you feel more confident about studying in a different environment. We can also help with course applications, career guidance, accessing Swinburne support services and referring you to external support services. 

Need further assistance?

Please contact Arti Vallabh (Care Leaver Project Coordinator) on 0499 911 908 or email careleaver@swinburne.edu.au.

  • Three students studying and chatting discussing an assignment within a building in the Hawthorn campus

    AccessAbility services

    At Swinburne, we offer an inclusive and welcoming environment for people living with a disability, medical condition, mental illness or with primary carer responsibilities.

  • Two students chat outside the Moondani Toombadool Centre for Indigenous students

    Indigenous student services

    Our team in the Moondani Toombadool Centre supports Indigenous students, including on-campus, online and community learners, to be in control of their own studies.

  • three female students smiling and laughing outside on campus

    Financial support and advice

    Having money troubles or need some advice regarding your financial situation? We’re here to help. Find out more about our available grants, scholarships, and get one-on-one advice.

  • Accommodation

    Discover all your student housing options at Swinburne, including on-campus accommodation, shared apartments, studio apartments and short-term accommodation.

Scholarships, awards and grants

Did you know? There are a range of scholarships available to care leavers. See if your eligible for any of the following: We also suggest exploring the wide range of grants available:

Access Scholarship for Students who are Care Leavers from Australian State or Foster Care 

A$5000 scholarship for undergraduate students from low SES backgrounds.

Learn more

Care Leaver Bursary

We offer a number of Care Leaver Bursaries for students who spent time in formal out-of-home care, to help achieve their academic goals.

Learn more

Skills First Youth Access Initiative

Free tuition for young people aged up to 24 who have been/or are on a Child Protection Order, Family Court Order or a Youth Justice Order.

Learn more

Additional services

Care leaver students are entitled to use Swinburne's full range of Student Services. Here are a few highlights:

  • Close-up of woman's hands during counseling meeting with a professional therapist. Box of tissues and a hand of counselor blurred in the front.

    Psychology and counselling services

    If you’re struggling with a personal or emotional matter, our counsellors are available to help. This service is free for all Swinburne students. 

  • Woman at the doctor

    Health services

    Book an appointment with a doctor, nurse or specialist and find out about costs.

  • Clubs and student organisations

    Join a club or student organisation and meet like-minded people, explore new hobbies and get involved with the issues you care about. Find your people.
  • Stones balance

    Spiritual wellbeing

    If you need a peaceful place for prayer, meditation or quiet contemplation, or wish to speak to a Chaplain for spiritual care, head to Swinburne’s Multi Faith Centre.

  • Library

    Need to borrow textbooks or book a computer? We have you covered. The Swinburne library provides a wide range of services for our students and operates across three campuses.

  • Blond female student wearing a black jumper looking at the camera

    Learning and Academic Skills Centre

    Visit the LAS Centre for free consultations to improve your academic and language skills. Get advice on essay writing, making presentations, researching and help with exam preparation.

  • Students studying online at a desk on their laptops

    Student systems, hardware and software

    Swinburne has a wide range of student systems, applications and software you can use to help with your studies including the Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office 365.

  • A group of undergraduate students talk inside a building on campus sitting on stools laughing smiling

    Study and learning support

    Improve your study and academic skills through our Learning and Academic Skills Centre. Attend workshops, advice sessions, and access support for students facing challenges.

External support organisations

Our Skills and Job Centre at the Swinburne Hub at the Wantirna and Croydon campuses provides information about preparing for your first job, looking to retrain or taking the first step in a career change.

This government initiative provides services and support to assist young people, aged 16 to 21, to transition from out-of-home care to independent living and adulthood. 

The Leaving Care hotline, 1300 532 846, provides advice and referrals for young people leaving out-of-home care in Victoria. The hotline is supported by Melbourne City Mission.
Learn more about Leaving Care.

Melbourne City Mission assists people with housing, education, employment and social support. This includes accommodation options for young people under the age of 25 experiencing or at risk of becoming homeless.
Learn more about Melbourne City Mission.

This youth development service supports young people experiencing, or at risk of homelessness.
Learn more about Anchor.

Berry Street offers support for young people when they leave the protection and care system.
Learn more about Berry Street.

This website is packed with info on support services and general life stuff that will assist you when you leave and transition from care.  

CREATE’s Go Your Own Way kits are a great resource for young people who are planning for their transition to adulthood and independence. 

Learn more about CREATE Your Future.

Youth Central is the Victorian Government’s website for young people with information about jobs, studying, moving out of home, getting a driver licence, travelling, managing money and your rights as a young Victorian.
Learn more about Youth Central.

Did you know?

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance is a one-off payment of A$1500 available to eligible young people leaving out-of-home care.

Learn more