Graduation process

This page outlines the formalities involved with completing your course.

At the end of your course, check your results to confirm you’ve completed all the required units.

Higher Education (undergraduate, postgraduate and UniLink) and Vocational Education (Certificate IV and above) students

If you’ve completed your course, or you’re likely to complete your course soon, you’ll receive an email from Swinburne Graduations around four weeks before the upcoming round of graduation ceremonies.

Once you receive this email, you’ll need to sign into My graduation and modify your planned attendance to one of the following:

  • Ceremony – To attend a graduation ceremony
  • Postpone – To defer to the next round of graduation ceremonies. You can only postpone to attend a later ceremony once.
  • Mail – To receive your paper testamur in the post. Postage fees apply.
  • Collect – To collect your paper testamur at Library and studentHQ (Hawthorn) at no cost

Follow these steps to prepare for your graduation ceremony.

Graduation documents

For information on graduation documents see here.

Studying a master or a double degree?

If you're currently enrolled in a master or double degree and wish to graduate with a different award/course, please find out what you need to do before you graduate.

Waiting on your results?

If you’ve almost finished your course, you may receive an email from Swinburne Graduations before your results are released. We encourage you to confirm your graduation option (and pay your graduation fee if you wish to attend your ceremony) by the due date so that you don't have to wait until the next round of graduation ceremonies if your results show that you are eligible to graduate.

Once your results are released, you can be refunded the graduation fee if your results show that you are not eligible to graduate.

Haven’t heard from us?

If you haven’t received an email from Swinburne Graduations three weeks before the upcoming graduation ceremonies, contact studentHQ.

Open Universities Australia (OUA) students

If you're an OUA student enrolled in a Swinburne course, you will first need to let us know you’re about to finish your course by submitting this Graduation application form.

If you're an undergraduate OUA student, you should confirm your degree admission status prior to applying to graduate. Check your course code and title by logging in to My Enrolment with your SIMS username and password. If you are degree admitted your course title will start with Bachelor, Master, Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate. If you are not degree admitted your course code and title will appear as one of the following:

  • NN-OUASUB Open Learning Australia Single Subject
  • XU-UGUNIT2 Cross institutional undergraduate Lilydale
  • XU-UGUNIT3 Cross institutional undergraduate OUA

If your course is listed as one of these options, you need to apply for degree admission as soon as possible. You can apply as soon as you've passed a minimum of three undergraduate units or equivalent.

Early exit or intermediate qualifications

If you would like to get graduation documents for the lower level qualification you have completed as part of a higher qualification, complete this Graduation application form.

For example, you may wish to get a testamur for the Graduate Diploma that you have completed as part of a Masters qualification.

Get help and advice

If have a question or need help with any aspect of completing your course or graduating, contact studentHQ.

StudentHQ can help you if you haven’t received your graduation documents or need to get replacements.