Report inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour

How to report

If you or someone you know is hurt or in immediate danger, call for help.

If you, or someone you know at Swinburne, is affected by inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour you can report it online. You’ll receive advice and support, and can choose to report anonymously. You can also contact Safer Community via email:

Provide as much information as you feel comfortable. The more information you provide (i.e. who, what, where and when), the more fully Safer Community can investigate.

After you report

Safer Community will assess the information you provide in your report and determine the most appropriate response. The response may include:

  • Gathering additional information and conducting further investigations
  • Contacting you for more information or to provide an update
  • Developing an action plan to support impacted persons and manage further risks
  • Making contact with the person in question
  • Providing referrals to internal or external specialist support services upon consent from the impacted parties to pass on personal information
  • Providing recommendations for misconduct sanctions
  • Recording the information.

Your privacy and confidentiality

  • All information will be confidential and your contact details will be kept private.
  • In exceptional circumstances, confidentiality may be broken. This may occur in situations where a Safer Community staff member believes you to be a direct danger to yourself or others.
  • You may report anonymously, but you will not receive any update on the response to your report. It’s important to note that it is difficult to verify or investigate anonymous reports as gathering all the information that may be required is challenging with anonymous cases.
  • Safer Community values your privacy.
  • This is how we manage your personal and health information.

Common questions 

Safer Community will work with you to identify the specific support you need. This may include counselling, health services and support with academic matters such as applying for special consideration. We can also connect you with additional services such as housing and legal assistance.

When you report sexual assault or sexual harassment, we will outline your rights and the options available to you, including reporting to the police.

We will respect your privacy and how you want to deal with the matter. If we believe there is a risk to the broader community, we may need to use the specific information you provide to protect others. At all times, we will inform you how we use the information you provide.

Yes. You can make a complaint about sexual assault or sexual harassment at any time.

We'll investigate the matter. Swinburne can’t make decisions about whether a crime has occurred, but we can investigate whether university rules have been breached. We must ensure the investigation doesn't jeopardise any criminal investigation.

The person investigating the matter will probably need to talk to you. You can have a support person with you.

Swinburne can impose penalties under the Student General Misconduct Regulations (for students) and staff disciplinary processes (for staff).

No. You aren't required to make a formal complaint.

We can talk to you about your options and provide you with support, counselling and refer you to services that can also help you.

If you're 18 or over, the university can't report the matter to police on your behalf. If you decide to report the incident to the police, we can support you. The police have specialist staff who are trained to deal with reported sexual offences.

If you're under 18 years of age, Swinburne must report sexual offences and misconduct to the police.

Want to report an incident?

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour, Safer Community wants to know.
Report an incident online or email

Report online