- One Semester or equivalent
- On-campus: 24 hours Face to face Swinburne online - Nil
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Teaching Period 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
237.5 cp in:
BA-EDUPRI Bachelor of Education (Primary)
BA-EDUPRI1 Bachelor of Education (Primary)
BA-EDECP Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
BA-EDECPS Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
BA-EDUECT Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching)
BA-EDUECTS Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching)
BA-EDUEC Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
BA-EDUEC2 Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
Aims and objectives
This unit familiarises pre-service teachers with English in the Primary Classroom. Students will consider the planning, teaching and assessing all aspects that comprise the relevant National and/or State or Territory English Curriculum – reading, writing, speaking and listening (including phonemic awareness) – and relate this to the relevant National and International standards for English. The concept of multiple literacies will also be embedded into all aspects of this unit, highlighting its presence in 21st Century learning. In addition, this unit offers a “Primary Specialisation” stream enabling students to develop additional depth of understanding in terms; expert content knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge and highly effective classroom teaching.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
2. Examine the development of English concepts throughout the primary years of schooling and relate it to the content of the National and/or State or Territory Curriculum.
3. Investigate and plan pedagogical approaches to Literacy in the primary years for diverse learners.
4. Develop appropriate and inclusive methods and structures for the planning and assessment of English.
5. Compare and critically evaluate the benefits and limitations of various forms of assessment and reporting in English.
Courses with unitBA-EDECP / BA-EDECPS (SOL) Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood and Primary)
BA-EDUPRI/EDUPRI1 Bachelor of Education (Primary)
BA-EDU Bachelor of Education