- One Semester or equivalent
- 34 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 1|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
To develop expertise in advanced coating technologies with an emphasis on thermal spray, weld overlay and physical vapour deposition. Characterization methods are also included. Present models for the formation processes of coatings and how their physical properties evolve.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe various surface coating technologies and their application in industry (K1, K5, K6, A1, A2).
2. Apply measurement techniques and carry out characterisation of industrial coated surfaces (K1, S2, S4).
3. Describe standard methods of testing of modified surfaces (K5, S2)
4. Discuss here coatings technologies are embedded within all engineering disciplines (A1, A2, A6).
5. Manage workloads throughout the unit that are keyed towards continuous assessment (A5, A6).