- One semester or equivalent
- 300 hours +Placement + Blended + Swinburne Online
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
Aims and objectives
This is the second of three professional experience units in the Master of Teaching (Primary). In this unit pre-service teachers will undertake a 20 day professional experience in a primary school under the supervision of an approved mentor. Pre-service teachers will involve themselves in the life of the school and reflect on their practice and performance supported by their in school mentor and university academic staff. Within this unit pre-service teachers will continue to develop their understanding and competence against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) appropriate to this course stage. In preparation for this professional experience, pre-service teachers will engage with material relating to pedagogy, curriculum, assessment and policies relevant to a primary school setting
Unit Learning Outcomes: Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Plan, implement and evaluate learning experiences
2. Modify learning environments to ensure safety and to facilitate learning
3. Utilise a range of teaching and assessment strategies and evaluate their effectiveness
4.Demonstrate effective interpersonal and communication skills with education professionals, students and families in accordance with legislative requirements, codes of conduct and ethics.
5. Critically analyse and reflect upon teaching and learning in relation to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
6. Create pedagogical approaches that can be effectively integrated into education programs to support inclusion, cultural identity and the linguistic background of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.