- One semester or equivalent
- 60 per semester
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Prerequisites300 credit points in one of the following: BH-DESCMN2 Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Hons) or BH-DESIND1 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Hons) or BH-DESINA Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Hons)
Admission into either: BH-DES Bachelor of Design (Honours) GC-DESG Graduate Certificate of Design GD-DESG Graduate Diploma of Design MA-DESG Master of Design; or GC-DSI Graduate Certificate of Design Strategy and Innovation; GD-DSI Graduate Diploma of Design Strategy and Innovation ; MA-DSI Master of Design Strategy and Innovation ; MA-ARC Master of Architecture ; MA-UD Master of Urban Design
Aims and objectives
In immersing students in a range of research approaches and methods, the unit models how designers in an academic or professional setting explore questions and generate reliable knowledge to solve diverse design problems. It addresses issues of relevance, soundness, scope and innovation in research design and methods, and clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance and depth in the analysis and presentation of research findings. In discussing research ethics and the regulatory frameworks around data collection from human subjects, students are challenged to exercise sound judgement, fair-mindedness and intellectual integrity in the conduct of research.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Formulate a research question in response to a design objective
2. Synthesise information from relevant literature through an intellectually disciplined process, identifying alternative viewpoints and frames of reference.
3. Develop an appropriate research design from a range of qualitative, quantitative and creative research approaches
4. Analyse data in a rigorous and meaningful way, showing sound reasoning leading to conclusions and discussion of implications for design
5. Apply the highest standards for the responsible conduct of research.
6. Prepare a comprehensive research report to validate design direction in industry or academic settings