- One Semester or equivelent
- 36 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2021 teaching periods
|HOL Study Period 3|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Effectively display information in datasets graphically.
2. Select an appropriate descriptive or inferential statistical technique based on the researcher’s hypothesis, the level of measurement of the variables and testing of the appropriate assumptions to analyse the data.
3. Select appropriate IBM SPSS Statistics procedures, Java applets on the web and mathematical calculations, to obtain basic statistical test results, including confidence intervals and effect size statistics.
4. Explain the foundations of statistical inference, in particular the role of sampling distributions and the use of the normal distribution as a density curve.
5. Recognize when more advanced techniques are needed.
6. Write interpretive summary reports for both descriptive and inferential statistical analysis.