This unit introduces students to data analytics (finding meaningful patterns in data sets) and its use in a range of sport business contexts. Students will gain experience in how to source and appraise data captured in various sport settings and learn foundation analytics and statistical techniques to help support and facilitate decision-making. Students will gain hands-on experience in problem conceptualisation, analysis and communicating evidence from sport business data settings including match day performance, stadium and event operations and attendance, finance and pricing, media consumption, sponsorship, and participant, customer and member experience. A focus on understanding and building capacity and capability for progressing data-focused sport organisations is included in the unit.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply coherent knowledge of sport analytics methods and concepts in diverse contexts and app
2. Apply problem solving, design and decision-making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to sport business
3. Analyse and interpret data using a variety of techniques to provide clear and meaningful outputs for decision making in an sporting context.
4. Communicate proficiently in professional practice to a variety of audiences
5. Function as an effective member or leader of a team