- One Semester or equivalent
- 49 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
PrerequisitesAdmission to MA-DIET
Aims and objectives
This unit will provide students with specialised nutrition knowledge, specifically in sports nutrition and paediatric nutrition. It will focus on the major areas of sport and exercise nutrition for elite and recreational athletes. Topics will include nutrition before, during and after exercise, the consideration of various sporting activities and body composition. The paediatric component will explore special considerations when working with infants and children.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
- Evaluate the nutritional needs of elite and recreational athletes and produce relevant nutrition recommendations for optimal training, recovery and performance
- Appraise the current literature surrounding the efficacy and safety of nutritional supplements used in sport
- Examine the special considerations and challenges which need to be overcome when working with infants and children
- Distinguish between the nutritional requirements of infants and children at different ages/developmental stages and develop a nutritional education material/tool suitable for use with children of a specified age/developmental stage
- Examine the nutrition assessments tools and techniques used in paediatric nutrition and implication of parental/family roles on dietary behaviours