- One semester
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
Aims and objectives
The aim of this unit is to provide students with an in-depth understanding of the key elements of a Safety Management System and its role within an operational environment. Students will also be able to describe the regulatory requirements for SMS contained in the ICAO annex.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe the concept of safety
2. Describe the origins of Safety Systems
3. Identify and explain the meaning of problems associated with high reliability organisations
4. Explain the concept of a Safety Management System and list the basic components
5. Identify and critically analyse differences in approach to safety management
6. Describe how to implement elements of a Safety Management System
7. Demonstrate through creative and informed individual written communications the application of analysis and theory to current practices and developments in Safety Management Systems