This unit provides a practical introduction to a broad range of qualitative research techniques. Based on the debates surrounding the various paradigms in qualitative research, the issues and implications of different qualitative research approaches will be addressed. Practical experience of gathering and analysing data for various approaches will be offered. On completion of the unit, students will have been introduced to how to assess different qualitative research approaches for suitability in answering a research question and the implementation of related qualitative methods.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
After successfully completing this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the implications of qualitative paradigms and approaches for research in marketing.
2. Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of the theoretical arguments that link a particular paradigm with a specific qualitative approach.
3. Apply knowledge of research design and principles to develop a research problem that would be best addressed through qualitative approaches.
4. Apply qualitative research fundamentals to the analysis, design and collection of qualitative data using different qualitative methods.
5. Analyse qualitative data in order to present an argument based on the synthesis of literature and data analysis using qualitative methods.