- One Semester or equivalent
- 480 hours of Placement
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesAttendance at a Professional Experience in Engineering Introductory Seminar
Aims and objectives
This unit of study aims to provide you with practical engineering experience in an environment outside the university and improve your awareness of the issues associated with professional practice. In so doing, it will ensure your perceptions of engineering during your studies develop alongside the realities of practice.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Apply degree studies in engineering practice as demonstrated by the evidential portfolio
2. Appreciate the broader issues associated with professional practice as reported in the reflective journal
3. Identify insights gained from your practical experiences and demonstrate how each observation or case study improved your understanding of any engineering issues associated with professional practice.
4. Identify how the activities and experiences improved your development of Swinburne Engineering Competencies
5. Compare and contrast your perceptions of engineering while at university with the realities of practice