- 1 Semester or equivalent
- 60 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
Aims and objectives
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe the threats to network security and their defences (K3)
2. Formulate an organisational security policy (S1, S2, A2)
3. Plan the implementation of a security policy using technologies such as firewalls, VPNs, Intrusion Detection Systems, and authentication systems (S1, S2, A2)
4. Conduct encryption of simple messages using public key and secret key techniques (K3)
5. Describe techniques used in dealing with Denial of Service Attacks (K3)
6. Describe the operation of the major security protocols (K3)
7. Describe the security issues relating to wireless technologies (K3)
- Maths and IT as Tools: Proficiently uses relevant mathematics and computer and information science concepts as tools.
- Discipline Specific: Proficiently applies advanced technical knowledge of the specific discipline within that context.
- Engineering Methods: Applies engineering methods in practical applications.
- Problem Solving: Systematically uses engineering methods in solving complex problems.
- Design: Systematically uses engineering methods in design.
- Communication: Demonstrates effective communication to professional and wider audiences.