- One Semester or equivalent
- 3 Hours per Week
2020 teaching periods
|HOL Study Period 3|
Last self enrolment:
PrerequisitesSTA60005 Statistical Practice 2
Aims and objectives
This unit teaches students to identify and apply the multivariate statistical techniques most commonly used in social and health research, to understand the assumptions underlying their use, and appreciate the strengths and limitations of these methods. Knowledge of these methods is particularly helpful for gaining employment in statistical consulting.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Summarise the objectives of a study, specify variables of interest in a study and identify their level of measurement.
2. Prepare data files for analyses (i.e. data screening, checking assumptions etc.).
3. Test the assumptions underlying a statistical analysis and state the limitations of a study.
4. Identify the most appropriate analysis for the research question and execute the analysis using an appropriate software package.
5. Interpret and report the results of statistical analyses.