- One Semester or equivalent
- 24 hours face to face + blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2024 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Anti-requisites (similar in content)
Aims and objectives
This unit offers a multidisciplinary inquiry into the foundations of social networking, social computing, mobile applications, Big Data, Cloud computing, Internet of Things and emerging network technologies. These issues will be discussed in conjunction with the current business landscape. In particular, the unit aims to provide students with an appreciation of the value of social networking and how it affects collaborative working, social interaction and knowledge exchange in organisations. It provides an understanding of the creation and management of social networking sites.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the technologies underpinning social media and mobile-based applications in organisations.
2. Critically analyse the big data issues inherit to data communications and networks associated with social media and mobile applications in organisations.
3. Critically analyse and articulate the issues, benefits and risks associated with the implementation of social media through mobile and Internet technologies in an organisation.
4. Work collaboratively in diverse groups to apply theories of implementation and adoption to a new communication and social media strategy for a global organisation.