- One Semester or equivalent
- 60 hours face to face + Blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
VCE Mathematical Methods or Equivalent
Aims and objectives
This unit of study aims to provide students with mathematical knowledge and skills needed to support their concurrent and subsequent engineering and science studies
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
2. Perform operations with vectors and have a working understanding of vector spaces. Use vectors to calculate scalar and vector products, determine linear (in)dependence of vectors (K2, S1).
3. Use the methods of Gaussian elimination, Cramer’s rule and inverse matrices to solve systems of linear equations and apply them to relevant examples (K2, S1).
4. Describe straight lines and planes in three dimensions and the relationships between them (K2, S1).
5. Use curvilinear coordinates, linear transformations and conversions with parametric forms to solve simple problems. Determine the curvature and radius of curvature for a curve, angular velocity and torque (K2, S1).