- One Semester or equivalent
- 150 contact hours - Online
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
2. Describe the competing priorities that arise from considerations of efficiency, quality, reliability, safety, resilience, adaptability, and innovation as they apply in an aviation context.
3. Explain the fundamental dilemma captured in the contrast between reliability and resilience, conformance and responsiveness.
4. Critically analyse the main features of Normal Accident Theory (NAT), High Reliability Organizations (HRO), Resilience Engineering (RE), and Systems Theory (STS) as implemented across aviation.
5. Demonstrate which method, NAT, HRO, RE, or STS, is most appropriate for different areas within an organization or type of aviation sector
6. Identify the principles that drive a high performing organizational culture for both reliability and resilience, safety and innovation7. Identify the principles that drive a high performing organizational culture for both reliability and resilience, safety and innovation