- 13 week study period
- Online study equivalent to 12.5 hours per week
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2023 teaching periods
HOL Study Period 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
LPW501(Z) - Journalism
Aims and objectives
In this unit, you gain insights into how journalists define news and construct news stories; develop an understanding of how news stories and features are structured; explore the various genres of journalistic writing through practical exercises; and create a marketable piece of journalistic writing.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Identify and critically evaluate the functions and conventions of journalistic reporting
2. Demonstrate practical hard news writing skills
3. Initiate, plan, research, and produce a feature article of publishable standard
Unit information in detail
- Teaching methods, assessment and content.
Hours per week
Number of Weeks
Directed Online Learning and Independent Learning
8.5 - 9
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
|Written Assignment||Individual||60-70%||1, 2, 3|
|Online Discussion Threads||Individual/Group||30-40%||1, 2, 3|
- Critical and cultural perspectives on the function of the news media
- News values and conventions of news stories
- Writing style and the news story
- Structure and the news story
- The characteristics of feature articles
- Interviewing and the ethics of journalism
- Broadcast journalism
- Reporting on conflict
- Alternative forms of journalism
- Opportunities for publication
- Reading materials.
A list of reading materials and/or required texts will be made available in the Unit Outline.