- One Semester or equivalentThis unit will be delivered on-line in Semester 2 2020.
- 36 hours
2020 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
This unit aims to introduce students to the study of law. It examines the Australian legal system, the doctrine of precedent, the interpretation of legislation, legal research methods and writing skills. The aim of this unit is to enable students, through the study of cases, statutes and other materials, to acquire an understanding of, and competence in, the Australian legal system and the principles of statutory interpretation.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Describe and evaluate the Australian legal system including the respective roles of parliament, the executive and the courts
2. Explain the doctrine of precedent and use it to evaluate the relative importance of judicial decisions
3. Explain the law making and development functions of the courts
4. Locate, interpret, evaluate and apply legislation to legal issues
5. Conduct legal research and use the results of that research to recommend solutions to legal problems