- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2021 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
This unit introduces students to the theory, practices and skills utilised to strategically manage human capital within the context of high performance cultures. Students will learn how to develop and utilise human capital metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s human capital management system. The subject explores both the theory and practice of Human Capital Management (HCM) in the context of the relevant legislation; the application of skills and competencies required in establishing an effective HCM; the management of high performance work cultures; and the integration of Human Resources (HR) management with strategic decision making processes. This subject provides students with the practical and analytical tools to be both proactive and innovative in the management of intellectual capital and in their support of knowledge management.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Critically analyse the relevance of Human Capital Management (HCM) in the strategic management of an organisation’s workforce.
2. Apply advanced and coherent knowledge of the relationship between HCM and organisational performance, including the evaluation of HCM effectiveness and the barriers that can impede organisational performance.
3. Critically evaluate the contemporary challenges faced by managers in utilising HCM to resolve contemporary organisational challenges.
4. Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct, professional accountability and a deep awareness of professional practices in a global and sustainable context.