- 1 Semester
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning. For Online unit delivery, learning is conducted exclusively online.
2021 teaching periods
|HOL Study Period 3|
Last self enrolment:
Aims and objectives
This Unit aims to provide an introduction to galaxies and galaxy clustering, theories of dark matter, galaxy formation and evolution.
Objectives (Unit Learning Outcomes)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Identify the “big questions” in galactic and extragalactic astronomy, and recognise the current state of our knowledge on these questions
2. Explain and summarise the concepts of galaxy formation and evolution
3. Distinguish the way galaxies are classified and differentiate the approaches used to discover their properties
4. Appraise and state the basic principles and concepts about our and other galaxies, their properties and their constituents in a non-technical way understandable to the wider public
5. Use problem solving skills to explain and synthesise solutions to problems in galactic and extragalactic astronomy
6. Design and create an essay on an astronomy topic, assessing and critiquing current knowledge, using credible sources of astronomical information and research articles