- One Semester or equivalent
- 48 hours face to face + Blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2024 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
This unit provides the fundamental knowledge of application of numerical methods in Civil Engineering applications. Special focus will be on Matrix Analysis of Structure and application of Finite Element Methods to civil engineering structures.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Analyse a simple frame structure using the coordinate transformation method, i.e., to establish structural stiffness matrix for frame structures, to convert member loads to nodal loads, and to determine forces and moments in each member; (K1, K3, S1, S2)
2. Describe the theory of finite element methods and the solution algorithms in the FE programs; (K1, S1)
3. Select appropriate elements and formulate the structure accordingly to reproduce the real behaviour (K3, K4, S2)
4. Use a general purpose FE program to perform stress analysis for a simple structure and consider various behaviour of beams, plates, shells and continuum elements (K2, K3, K4, S1, S2)
5. Examine the stability of structures and determine the elastic buckling load (K1, K3, S1, S3)
6. Idealise and apply various loads to structures and to determine the performance (K1, S3)