This unit of study aims to introduce students to engineering research through planning and managing an innovative engineering research project, using research methods and reflecting on broader professional issues related to the project. Research projects may involve: research intensive investigation, design and construction, development of a product or a software system. Overall it should provide a solution to an engineering problem.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Plan and manage an innovative engineering research project, using project management processes and tools, and self-management skills. (K3,K4,K5,K6,S1,S2,S3,S4,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6)
2. Research a complex problem within given constraints, using knowledge and skills developed during the course by formulating research questions, appraising current literature and developments, and applying research principles and methods to generate, evaluate and justify innovative solutions. (K1,K2,K3,K4,S1,S2,S3,A2,A3,A4)
3. Demonstrate effective professional written and oral communication to a variety of audiences through proposals, reports, documentation and presentations. (A2,A4)
4. Reflect on professional engineering practice and its impact on the project, including safety, ethical, legal, social, cultural and sustainability considerations, along with standards and codes of practice. (K5,K6,S4,A1,A2,A4)
5. Demonstrate professionalism, integrity, ethical conduct and professional accountability in all aspects of project work, including teamwork (when appropriate and applicable), dealing with stakeholders and demonstrating a professional image. (K5,K6,S4,A1,A2,A5,A6,A7)