- One Semester or equivalent
- 24 hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2021 teaching periods
|Higher Ed. Semester 2|
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesEDU20022 - Literacy and Numeracy Across the Curriculum AND EDU20023 - Professional Experience 2
EDU20051 - Secondary Curriculum and Pedagogy 1 OR 25 Credit Points in spk(s): EDU20024-EDU20049
Aims and objectives
This unit explores key issues of teaching, leadership and policy, including principles described in codes of ethics and conduct for the teaching profession. Students examine relevant legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes required for teachers according to school stage. They critically examine the nature and purpose of schooling and the social and political forces that impact formalised education. Students gain understanding of strategies for working effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers. They develop skills to constructively respond to policies within organisational contexts and evaluate the role of external professionals and community representatives in broadening teachers’ professional knowledge and practice.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Consider developments in leadership theories that contribute to greater understandings and improvements in professional practice in education.
2. Evaluate policies and strategies for working effectively, sensitively and confidentially with parents/carers and community representatives.
3. Critically evaluate the nature and purpose of schooling through social, political, historical and cultural contexts.
4. Analyse the role of policies, codes of ethics and legislative requirements within school systems to support staff and student wellbeing and safety.
5. Identify and analyse contemporary education reform agendas both within Australia and globally; including an understanding of key national and international stakeholders.
Courses with unitBA-EDUSEC Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
BB-EDSBUS Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Business
BB-EDSSC Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Science
BB-EDSART Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts
BB-EDSART1 Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts