Dynamics of Diversity in Organisations
- One Semester or equivalent
- 24 hours face to face + Blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
This unit introduces students to the importance of fostering an inclusive workplace that manages and leverages diversity in all its forms. It focuses on how people management policies and practices facilitate organisational effectiveness through recognising, valuing and accommodating employee diversity. The consequences of a diverse workplace, various diversity management practices and diverse views on the purpose of a business will be discussed. Whether in domestic or multinational organisations, such practices enable responsiveness to change and complexity and the implementation of sustainable people management practice.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Identify and discuss the drivers of diversity in the workplace and describe how diversity impacts business practices through collaborative teamwork
2. Analyse various diversity management practices in terms of their theoretical rationale
3. Develop an enhanced sensitivity, openness and respect for human diversity including gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, nationality and other dimensions of diversity
4. Demonstrate awareness of diversity issues in developing and implementing people management policies and practices in particular HRM functional areas, in a diverse workplace
Unit information in detail
- Teaching methods, assessment and content.
Hours per week
Number of Weeks
Face to Face Contact
Online Contact Directed Online Learning and Independent Learning
Unspecified Learning Activities
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
- Origin and Development of Diversity
- Diversity Management Perspectives & Workforce Diversity in Australia
- Managing workplace diversity for competitive advantage
- Dimensions of Diversity in the Workplace
- Indigenous Perspectives and Reconciliation
- Workplace Deviance and Employee Voice
- Creating and Building Inclusive workplace practices
- Organisational Culture and Diverse workforce
- Spirituality and Mindfulness and diversity
- Diversity and HRM
- Future of Diversity Management
- Reading materials.
Students are advised to check the unit outline in the relevant teaching period for appropriate textbooks and further reading.