- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2022 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesARC70001 Design Research Studio A
Aims and objectives
In this unit students will develop creative thinking processes through generating and testing speculative design propositions that respond to a range of complex, contemporary global challenges at an intermediate level. Students will develop agile, nonlinear learning abilities to respond to uncertain outcomes and to make meaningful connections between challenging, contradictory or unlikely elements.
Students will learn to take risks and learn from failure through design iteration whilst undertaking design as a form of research at an intermediate level. Students will be able to identify a design challenge; set out an integrated design research question; articulate a design method; and put forward a tested and rigorous design proposition, drawing conclusions about the weakness and strengths of their design approach.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Use design ideation to pose and probe questions to identify opportunities for development of design proposals.
2. Apply architecture and/or urban design theories and technical skills to resolve problems which have unfamiliar or emergent circumstances.
3. Think strategically and apply planning and design concepts, skills and knowledge at a range of scales and spatial settings at an intermediate level.
4. Analyse and synthesise a range of data and analysis methods to formulate a design hypothesis at an intermediate level.
5. Concisely communicate architecture and/or urban design proposals via a range of media and methods including visual, verbal and written.
6. Work productively within multidisciplinary and diverse groups.