- One Semester or equivalent
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Prerequisites300 credit points in one of the following: BH-DESCMN2 Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Hons) or BH-DESIND1 Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) (Hons) or BH-DESINA Bachelor of Design (Interior Architecture) (Hons)
Admission into: MA-DESG Master of Design
Aims and objectives
This unit develops expertise in applying innovation methods to create meaningful design solutions; advancing skills in conceptual thinking, experimentation, prototyping and co-creation. It features industry and/or Design Factory Global Network partnerships. DFM Applied Innovation units work in unison, where a dynamic learning plan guides authentic learning experiences; such as sprints, workshops, in-depth projects and internships. Students explore professional capabilities; scaffolding mastering of design activities, research-led design, being a collaborative designer, and design facilitation and/or leadership. Working on diverse challenges gives students opportunity to identify areas they may specialize in design fields.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Conduct ethical and rigorous human-centred research to discover, define and inform design projects
2. Investigate co-creation applied to design innovation practices across diverse sectors.
3. Create prototypes to generate, explore and develop ideas.
4. Construct documentation that communicates the value and intent of a design solution to an interdisciplinary audience.
5. Develop design solutions that provide value to specific users in response to complex project briefs.
6. Interpret contextual and human factors to provide a rationale for speculative design with environmental and social responsibility.
7. Compare factors contributing to high performing, interdisciplinary teams who use design innovation practices.