- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 hours plus two 3 hour workshops per teaching period
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesAdmission to DR-CFPSY Doctor of Psychology (Clinical and Forensic Psychology)
Aims and objectives
This unit provides knowledge and skill-training that form the foundation of an evidence-based approach to counselling/psychotherapy. It develops the students’ understanding of key theories and concepts in the provision of counselling, and of high levels of counselling and core intervention skills. Specific objectives are to provide students with theory and applied training in counselling skills, case conceptualisation and time limited interventions, so that they can work effectively with clients in counselling settings.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
2. Integrate advanced counselling skills to elicit a description of client’s concerns
3. Effectively communicate and apply appropriate treatment decisions based on clinical evidence
4. Apply a high level of knowledge and skills including the integration of client information and established theories, to produce a provisional case formulation and treatment plan
5. Extend and define existing knowledge as applied to an area of Clinical and Forensic therapy