- One Semester or equivalent
- 264 contact hours including Pre and post departure seminars and tour
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
50 credit points
Aims and objectives
This unit provides a concrete appreciation and understanding of America and the approaches towards doing business and innovation in America. The aim of the tour is to familiarise students with the actual issues, debates touch points of business in America, along with the tolerance for risk and failure and the role of social impact in the US. The tour visits Silicon Beach and Silicon Valley and exposes students to innovation through start-ups, entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs and addresses the challenges faced in getting funding and scaling up in business in America.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Demonstrate advanced and coherent knowledge of the contemporary issues discussed and debated between America and Australia
2. Apply problem solving, design and decision-making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
3. Critically analyse the commercial and political relationships between Australia and America
4. Reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes
5. Communicate proficiently and in a professional manner to a variety of audiences and operate as a member or leader of a diverse team