- Approximately 6 weeks (including approximately 2 weeks on tour)
- Pre and post departure seminars and tour
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
50 credit points
Aims and objectives
pre 2020 unit code INB70004
This unit provides a concrete appreciation and understanding of America and the approaches towards doing business and innovation in America. The aim of the tour is to familiarise students with the actual issues, debates touch points of business in America, along with the tolerance for risk and failure and the role of social impact in the US. The tour visits Silicon Beach and Silicon Valley and exposes students to innovation through start-ups, entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs and addresses the challenges faced in getting funding and scaling up in business in America.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Demonstrate advanced and coherent knowledge of the contemporary issues discussed and debated between America and Australia
2. Apply problem solving, design and decision-making methodologies to identify and provide innovative solutions to complex problems with intellectual independence
3. Critically analyse the commercial and political relationships between Australia and America
4. Reflect on and take responsibility for their own learning and self-management processes
5. Communicate proficiently and in a professional manner to a variety of audiences and operate as a member or leader of a diverse team
To learn more about the America Study Tour and how to apply, please visit the Faculty Lead Tours page here