Big Data Architecture and Application
- One Semester or equivalent
- 48 hours face to face + blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 2
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
Aims and objectives
This unit introduces students to the architectures of contemporary Big Data platforms and ecosystems of tools. These technologies are the foundation of Big Data analytics which facilitate scalable management and processing of vast quantities of data. The unit is delivered in collaboration with industry and prepares students with the essential foundations towards undertaking professional certifications.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Explain and compare the architecture of contemporary Big Data tools and platforms
2. Demonstrate skills in working with a contemporary Big Data platform to manage large data sets
3. Apply Big Data related technologies in developing applications to solve common problems faced by organisations
Unit information in detail
- Teaching methods, assessment and content.
Hours per week
Number of Weeks
Live Online Lecture
On Campus Class in Computer Lab
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
Successful completion of the Portfolio may result in a Pass or Credit, successful completion of the Portfolio and the Project may lead to a Distinction or High Distinction result
- Introduction to Big Data platforms and their ecosystems
- Big Data platforms programming
- Partitioners and Reducers
- Big Data acquisition and workflows
- The Data Analytics Lifecycle
- Analysis and Management of structured and unstructured Big Data
- Reading materials.
A list of reading materials and/or required texts will be made available in the Unit Outline.