- One Semester or equivalent
- 49 Hours
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
2023 teaching periods
Higher Ed. Semester 1
Last self enrolment:
Last withdraw without fail:
PrerequisitesAdmission to MA-DIET
Aims and objectives
This unit focuses on the application of nutrition science to the assessment of nutritional status and the relationship between food and nutrients on human development, health, and wellbeing. It provides foundational knowledge to inform science-based and evidence-based nutrition and dietetic practice.
Students who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
- Describe the digestion, absorption, metabolism and excretion of nutrients as it relates to human development, health and wellbeing.
- Apply knowledge of nutritional science to assess individual and population nutritional status.
- Demonstrate nutritional assessment skills and techniques.
- Describe the impact of malnutrition on human health and wellbeing.
- Apply knowledge of nutritional science to emerging issues in the food and nutrition system.