- One Semester or equivalent
- 36 hours face to face + blended
On-campus unit delivery combines face-to-face and digital learning.
PrerequisitesStudents must contact the Unit Convenor before enrolling, to determine eligibility.
Aims and objectives
This unit aims to give the students a solid foundation in the application of advanced econometrics analysis for conducting empirical research using micro-data. It will focus on the use of non-structural empirical models to identify, estimate, and interpret casual relationships as revealed by observational data. It will illustrate the application of the techniques using worked examples taken from real work micro econometric studies in the recent literature. It will provide students with practical skills to conduct applied econometrics using software such as R and STATA.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULO)
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Apply coherent and advanced knowledge of casual econometric concepts such as endogeneity, confounding factors, selection and identification intuitively
2. Critically analyse econometric techniques for identifying and estimating casual effects
3. Specify, estimate and analyse casual relationships using state-of-the art econometric models using R or STATA
4. Provide a critical appreciation of empirical analysis in published reports and journal articles using the micro econometrics techniques discussed
5. Carry out empirical research using the microeconomic techniques and interpret the finding and discuss any technical limitation of the studies
Courses with unitEnterprise Trainer - Presenting Skill Set
Unit information in detail
- Teaching methods, assessment and content.
Hours per week
Number of Weeks
On Campus Class
|Online (asynchronous lecture)||1||12||12|
Unspecified Activities Independent Learning
This unit may be delivered in block or intensive mode. Block mode may consist of blended, intensive and immersive teaching, which can include full day teaching and weekend teaching requirements – as specified in the Unit Outline.
Unit Learning Outcomes (ULOs)
Journal and Review 1
|Journal and Review 2||Individual||10-20%||1,2,4|
|Journal and Review 3||Individual||10-20%||1,2,4|
|Journal and Review 4||Individual||10-20%||1,2,4|
|Journal and Review 5||Individual||10-20%||1,2,4|
- Introduction to basic concepts
- Review of Regression analysis
- Regression and Causality
- Regression Discontinuity
- Sharp RD
- Fuzzy RD
- Panel Data
- Fixed Effect
- Lagged Dependant variables
- Intrumental Variables
- IV, exclusion restriction and causality
- Two-stage least squares (2SLS)
- Reading materials.
Students are advised to check the unit outline in the relevant teaching period for appropriate textbooks and further reading.