Master of Design
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
Stop saying next year. Start in Semester 2.
Applications to begin midyear are now open. Are you ready to stop feeling undervalued? To stop pretending to be happy? To stop dreaming small? Apply now
2 years full-time or equivalent part-time
Hawthorn (Semester 1, Semester 2) - View application and start dates
2023 Start Dates
2024 Start Dates
Co-designing the future of cinema
By tapping into the current cinema experience, Swinburne’s Master of Design students are investigating the future of cinema entertainment using co-designing techniques with movie-lovers.
Working with Village Cinemas, students are redesigning cinema entry points, collaborating with dating sites and even creating collectable movie tickets for attendees.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
To qualify for the award of Master of Design, students must complete 200 credit points comprising:
- 4 Core units (100cps)
- 4 units from either Applied Design Stream or Design Factory Melbourne Stream (100cps).
A unit of study can only be counted once.
Units of study
Applied Design Stream
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives, graduate skills and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- generate high-level concepts and highly refined, detailed design outcomes and/or prototypes to professional standards
- critically evaluate and interpret current and future design practices in relation to social, cultural, economic and environmental contexts
- analyse and synthesise complex conceptual and technical information to inform independent research and apply to design projects
- critique and interpret theoretical propositions and methodologies, using design research principles and communication skills
- implement agile, strategic thinking and evaluative judgement in the design process, including collaboration, experimentation, creative problem-solving and decision-making.
- capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas
- entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace or community
- effective and ethical in work and community situations
- adaptable and able to manage change
- aware of local and international environments in which they will be contributing.
Upon completion of this qualification students may be eligible to become a member of the Design Institute of Australia, Australian Graphic Design Association or Design Management Institute but should confirm eligibility with the association.
Pathways and scholarships
- Pathways, credit transfer, recognition of prior learning and scholarships.
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and non-year 12 entry.
|2023 rate*||Estimated total cost of the course||Estimated cost of the course per year if studying full-time*||Annual Amenities fee if studying full-time*|
||$58,240||$29,120||See how your SSAF is calculated|
How do I pay my fees?
FEE-HELP is a loan given to eligible full-fee paying higher education students to help pay part or all of their tuition fees. The Commonwealth Government pays the amount of the loan directly to Swinburne.
- Bachelor's degree in design or related field*; or
- Bachelor's degree in any discipline plus a minimum of three years relevant professional experience** in design or a related field*; or
- Completion of postgraduate studies*** (graduate certificate / graduate diploma) in design or related field*.
- Applicants do not have an undergraduate degree in Design or a related-field (a detailed CV is an accepted alternative to a portfolio); or
- Applicants are seeking Advanced Standing (unit exemptions) outside of an agreed pathway or articulation agreement.