Graduate Certificate of Design
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Hawthorn (Semester 1) - View application and start dates
A$17760 (total for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
- 1 Design Core unit (25 credit points)
- 1 Applied Design unit (25 credit points)
Please note that a unit of study can only be counted once.
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Career opportunities, course aims and objectives and professional recognition.
Aims and objectives
- generate effective and appropriate concepts and refined, detailed design outcomes and/or prototypes
- evaluate and interpret current and future design practices in relation to relevant contexts
- comprehend complex conceptual and technical information and apply to design outcomes
- critique and interpret theories and methodologies, using communication skills and basic design research principles
- use strategic thinking and evaluative judgement in the design process, including collaboration, creative problem-solving and decision-making.
Upon completion of this qualification students may be eligible to become a member of the Design Institute of Australia, Australian Graphic Design Association or Design Management Institute but should confirm eligibility with the association.
Pathways and scholarships
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
English language requirements
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- Pearson (PTE) minimum score of 58 (no communicative skills less than 50)
- any other equivalent assessment of English language proficiency.
Find out more about English language requirements.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +61 3 9214 8444 (outside Australia)