Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems
Blended learning – on-campus and digital learning
The Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems covers the use and management of information systems – the foundations required by analysts in this field. It may be a standalone post-graduate qualification or your first step towards a Master Degree.
Four core subjects provide an overview that encourages you to view business information systems and business analysis from different perspectives.
The units are:
- Professional Issues in IT
- Business Information Systems
- Database Analysis and Design
- Requirements, Analysis and Modelling
The Graduate Certificate is delivered with support from Swinburne’s industry partners, who bring practising professionals and real issues into your academic learning and provide opportunities to apply your new knowledge and skills practically.The Graduate Certificate can be completed in six months of full-time study.
Every international student application is considered for a scholarship
Whether you’re living in Australia or overseas, you’re automatically considered for a scholarship of up to 30% off your course fees. Please check our updated entry requirements.
Hawthorn (Semester 1, Semester 2) - View application and start dates
A$18800 (total for 2023)*
The indicative course fees shown in Course Search apply to international students for the relevant year only. They are based on a standard study load per year. However, please note that fees are assessed according to a student's study load in each semester, and variation to study load will result in an adjustment to tuition fees. All fees are subject to annual review and may be adjusted.
Course industry partners include
Course information in detail
- Course detail, course structure and units of study.
Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems (GC-BIS1)
Graduate Diploma of Business Information Systems (GD-BIS1) ^
Master of Business Information Systems
^ Students are unable to enrol directly into the Graduate Diploma however it is available as an exit award. (Not available by Admission)
International students in Australia who hold student visas are required to study full-time and on campus. Courses that are taught entirely online are only available to international students studying outside Australia or those in Australia who are not on a student visa. Online courses are not available to international students in Australia who hold a student visa.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems students must complete 4 units of study (50 credit points) as follows:
- 4 core units
The maximum level of credit that can be granted for the Graduate Certificate of Business Information Systems is 25 credit points (normally 2 units)
Units of study
Careers and graduate outcomes
- Course aims and objectives.
Aims and objectives
- Demonstrate coherent and advanced knowledge of the inter-disciplinary nature of information systems in organisations
- Critically evaluate the underpinnings of information systems, including
- Critically evaluate a range of theories and practices pertaining to the use of information systems in organisations, and apply them in the context of business analysis, project management and information management
- Critically analyse organisational problems from both a broader information systems perspective and the specific perspective of business analysis, project management or information management
- Communicate effectively with key stakeholders and develop effective working relationships.
Pathways and scholarships
Course fees and requirements
- Fees, entry requirements and English language requirements.
A prerequisite for many courses, the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) can now be done on campus in Hawthorn at Room 132, Building TD. Book now or call +61 3 9214 3584 for more information.
- a bachelor degree (or higher award) in a related discipline from a recognised higher education institution or equivalent; OR
- a recognised bachelor degree (or higher award) in any discipline PLUS a minimum of two years equivalent full-time relevant professional experience* OR
- a minimum of three years equivalent full-time relevant professional experience*
English language requirements
Satisfactory completion of one of the following:
- Swinburne’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP 5 Advanced level) with overall 70%, all skills 65%
- minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0
- Or equivalent measures available at English language requirements.
How to apply
Find out more
Tel: +613 9214 8444 (outside Australia)
Free call: 1300 794 628 (within Australia)