Professor Saulius Juodkazis
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Science
- Centre for Micro-Photonics
- AMDC822 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Saulius Juodkazis is Professor of nanophotonics and Director of the nanotechnology facility at Swinburne’s Centre for Micro-Photonics. His current research is focused on applying principles of light-field enhancement and its spectral control for applications in micro-optics, sensing, solid-state lighting, and solar energy conversion.
Professor Juodkazis has contributed to the development of a three-dimensional laser printing with nano-/micro-scale precision using femtosecond laser for applications in opto-fluidic, micro-optics, optical memory, and photonic crystals. He has shown experimentally the creation of high-pressure density phases of materials using tightly focused ultra-short laser pulses. Currently, his research also includes nano-textured surfaces for sensing, bactericidal, and light harvesting applications.
Professor Juodkazis received his doctorate in experimental physics and material science jointly from Vilnius University (Lithuania) and Lyon-I University (France). He has also held previous tenured positions at the Universities of Tokushima and Hokkaido in Japan, and is the author of 320 peer-reviewed journal papers, reviews, and several book chapters. He is Fellow of OSA and SPIE and ChangJiang scholar.
Plasmonic light-field enhancement spectral control for applications in sensing; solid-state lighting; and solar energy conversion.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Nanophotonics - 100711
- Optical Physics - 020500
- Nanomaterials - 100708
- 2017, National, Eureka Prize for Scientific Research (with team "Bacteria busters"), UNSW with the Australian Museum
- 2014, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2013, International, Fellow of OSA, The optical society of America (OSA)
- 2012, International, Fellow of SPIE, The international society for optics and photonics (SPIE)
- 2009, International, PRESTO (sakigake) award for the opening of a new field "Innovative use of light" (top 2% researchers in Japan), The Science and Technology Agency, Japan
- 2008, International, Award for the ten years scientific achievements in the fields of physical, technological, and bio-sciences, The Science and Education Ministry of Lithuania
- 2001, International, Window on Science (WoS), The Asian Office of Aerospace Research and Development (AOARD) Tokyo, Japan
Also published as: Juodkazis, Saulius; Juodkazis, S.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: 2017 Research Sabbatical Scheme - Prof. Saulius Juodkazis *; Bordeaux University Fund Scheme
- 2017: Facility for exploring light-matter interactions in space, time and energy *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2017: New landscape of non-equilibrium material phases *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2017: Primer: engineering a high temperature plasma breakdownSIEF STEM+ Business Fellowship Program *; CSIRO - Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF)
- 2017: Textured Nanostructured based devices for energy and sensing applications *; Swinburne and FAPESP Priority Partnership Fund
- 2016: Investigating noval glass technologies and photovoltaics in protected cropping *; Horticulture Innovation Australia
- 2016: Rapid prototyping 3-D nano-pattern large area writer *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2016: Thermal properties and heat transport on nanoscale textured surfaces *; Australian Academy of Science Visits to Japan Fellowships
- 2015: Collaborative advanced spectroscopy facility for materials and devices *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme - For funding commencing in 2015
- 2014: Collaborative facility for high resolution fabrication, imaging, and characterisation of nanostructured materials *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: Ultrafast Science Facility: manipulating and probing matter on fs timescales with microscopic resolution *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Scheme - For funding commencing in 2014
- 2013: Photonic crystals at visible wavelengths *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2012: 3D nano-lithography: combined electron and ion beam fabrication *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2012: Argon cluster source for non-destructive, quantitative compositional depth profile of soft biomedical and biological materials *; Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundation Equipment Grants
- 2012: Nano-textured surfaces for sensing and light harvesting *; Australia India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF) Senior Visiting Fellowship
- 2012: Ultra-fast alchemy: a new strategy to synthesise super-dense nanomaterials *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: Ripple sensor for surface enhanced raman spectroscopy *; Agilent Technologies Foundation
- 2011: Three-dimensional super-resolution nano-photonic fabrication facility *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2010: Austrade Visiting Researcher Program (Solar Energy) *; Austrade Visiting Researcher Program
* Chief Investigator
- 2017-09-18: New infrared imaging technique reveals molecular orientation of proteins in silk fibres - Australian Synchrotron; Sci. Reports doi:10.1038/s41598-017-07502-3
- 2017-01-31: 3D Printing to Replicate Complex Structures Found in Nature - 3DPrint.com
- 2017-01-20: 3D Printing on Nanoscale: 3D Laser Lithography Produces Improved Micro-/Nano-Optics - 3DPrint.com
- 2014-10-17: Smart Gorilla glass displays on smartphones - CNET technology news
- 2014-10-01: 3D Printer + Laser Microfabrication + Stem Cells = Biodegradable Hard Tissue Implants - 3Dprint.com
- 2014-10-01: 3D printing of biodegradable hard tissue implants - 3D Printer & 3D Printing News
- 2014-08-27: Black Si: world class science - The Sydney Morning Herald
- 2014-05-02: First installation in Australia at Melbourne Center for Nanofabrication (MCN) - AZO Materials
- 2012-11-09: New optical nose zeroes in on explosives - ABC Science news
- 2012-10-23: Invisible fish could light the way to better optical devices - The Conversation
- 2011-08-24: Researchers discover superdense aluminium - Swinburne Media Centre
- 2011-05-23: Novel 3D sculpturing of photonic crystals promises functionality at visible wavelengths - NanoWerk
- 2011-05-05: Tiny antennas work on light - Science Alert
- 2011-05-04: Fractal nanoantennas collect light - R&D Magazine
- 2011-05-04: Researchers create novel nanoantennas - Swinburne Media Centre